Monday, April 29, 2013

Women; Ambassadors of Peace

How many times have you heard, if women would run governments, war and discord would be eliminated? Personally, I have heard it millions of times. Somewhere back in my mind , I knew it could be true. Aren't we, women, seeking solutions  rather than confrontation, by nature?  Aren't we natural peacekeepers? Don't we have the innate ability to bridge gaps?

The answer is yes, we are. I saw it, experienced it first hand on Sunday. Let me tell you about my little adventure that took place in a town called Milton, Ontario. I was invited to do a food and craft show in a small community center. I had no idea who the organizers were, I got the call from my friend Khadra, to let's go and set up shop. I responded to the call, and drove to Milton. It turned out, it was organized by South Asian women with the aim to promote home based businesses to enable other women become independent.

What Khadra did not tell me, that the vast majority of the participants would be Muslims, many of them devout. My dear friend would not even think about it, since our main goal was to introduce our products and sell them. So, here I was, the one and only Jewish woman, with the Star of David clearly visible on her necklace; promoting healthy, organic beverages. Oh yes, I was the odd one out, but not for long.

We worked in harmony,  made many contacts, met some amazing, strong women and  who we pray to, was never an issue. Myths were dispelled, we found common ground. Many would say, only in Canada. Yes, Canada is unique in this respect. I love the fact that me the Jewish (Israeli), is able to bridge gaps, build bridges, bring my culture/religion to those who would otherwise see me as the enemy at best, or Satan itself at worst.

I only wish, that those 7 hours in Milton, could be projected to the entire globe.  OK, I am an idealist, I know reality all too well, but for a little while, in a small town called, Milton, Ontario, that idealism did manifest itself.

Thank you Khadra, thank you all the wonderful women at the show! Let's continue to be who we are, women, ambassadors of peace.


Good night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment